Have you ever noticed that woman who has it all together? It’s almost as if you can’t put your finger on what it is about her, that draws you in. She could be wearing a basic white t and jeans, but still is owning the room around her. Could it be her natural beauty? I suppose that could play a role, but my guess is that she oozes confidence by the vibe she is giving off through her body language. Guess what? It’s her Posture that’s draws you in.
Yes, posture is not only an instant confidence booster, but I promise you if you follow these 5 tips it will speak volumes in your daily life. Great posture screams elegance and has long lasting health benefits. By creating great posture you are allowing your body parts to align in the right areas, such as your organs, muscles, joints and bones. Bad posture creates strains and will eventually cause you serious health problems down the road.
Ok, so let’s get into it and start creating a more polished you.
- Be Aware! Yes especially if you live a sedentary life style staring at a computer for hours at a time. This part is particularly important for you. As our mothers would say “sit up straight”. If you feel your back starting to hurt throughout the day make yourself aware and re position your posture. Start by sitting back and holding in your core. P.S. Great posture also makes you look thinner. Count me in!
- Stretching…ok this is a big one that we don’t do enough, and it will help you big time. You can do this sitting down or standing up. Roll your shoulders upward towards the ceiling and back. Instantly you will feel your posture improving and your spine should feel more aligned. I do this daily. Practice makes perfect.
- Walk Around! Not just walk around, but focus on keeping your core nice and tight. Walking around for periods at a time is crucial for great posture, especially if you are sitting in a chair for long periods at a time. This will also lengthen your hamstrings, your body will thank you for it. Who doesn’t want to look long and lean? I wanna be 5’10 just like Cindy Crawford!
- Got Plank? This has really helped me improve my posture, so I wanted to pass it along. It might be that you have weak abdominal muscles and need to strengthen them to improve your posture. These are a must try. I like to do 3 sets for 30 seconds. Here is a great example of how to perform a plank http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/basic-workout-plank
- Wear your Invisible Crown. OK, real talk this might sound silly but try it. Picture yourself wearing an invisible crown and adjust it perfectly on top of your head. Now unless I’m on an island alone you should have felt your neck and shoulders moved backwards. Instant game changer!
Try stretching your shoulders a couple times a day to prevent the picture on the left.
I hope you enjoyed this blog and you are one step closer to owning a room through great polished posture.